La-Z-Boy goes green with Zero Waste program

188
Representatives from La-Z-Boy corporate office, Rhea County School Board, County Commission, Dayton City Council, U.S. Congress, and U.S. Senate were on hand to celebrate the accomplishment by planting a symbolic tree. (photo submitted)

La-Z-Boy announces Zero-Waste-To-Landfill success on Earth Day

 April 22, 2015 — Once again La-Z-Boy has shown a commitment to excellence, this time with a dedication to the future by sending zero waste to the landfill.  The efforts will ultimately reduce their carbon footprint, free up landfill space, and constructively reuse material previously sent to the landfill only to be buried.

Symbolic tree represents La-Z-Boy's commitment to produce zero waste. (photo submitted)
Symbolic tree represents La-Z-Boy’s commitment to produce zero waste. (photo submitted)

On Earth Day 2015, the company announced they now produce zero waste through their Zero-Waste-To-Landfill program.  The company says in order to preserve the community and planet for future generations, they are taking the responsibility to reduce, reuse and recycle waste head-on .

“Right now we reuse or we sell 95% of anything we have that normally went to the landfill.  The other 5% we are turning into park benches or curbs for parking.  100% of everything we have is going to use and not to the landfill,” says La-Z-Boy Tennessee Vice President Harold “Bimbo” McCawley.

Local, state, and federal dignitaries joined with representatives from La-Z-Boy’s corporate office to celebrate the achievement, but McCawley says sharing the moment with employees was most meaningful to him.

“I’m very proud and always happy when I see our dignitaries show up for something like this,” said McCawley.   “But more importantly, the people that has made it happen and is going to make it happen are the people out there on the floor everyday.”

[raw]

As a local hometown boy, I keep in my heart how important it is that La-Z-Boy maintains its status and the level of success it has had since opening its doors in 1973.

Harold “Bimbo McCawley – V.P. La-Z-Boy

[/raw]

Flushed with pride, McCawley looks back at what the company has accomplished here in Dayton, “As a local hometown boy, I keep in my heart how important it is that La-Z-Boy maintains its status and the level of success it has had since opening its doors in 1973.”

In 1973, the company which began operations in Dayton with 200 employees in a 300,000 square foot facility now provides 1,400 jobs in their 1.2 million square foot facility.  La-Z-Boy in Dayton is currently the largest employer of Rhea, Meigs, and Bledsoe counties.

La-Z-Boy worker sits on park bench created from recycled material in front of La-Z-Boy Dayton facility. (photo contributed)
La-Z-Boy worker sits on park bench created from recycled material in front of La-Z-Boy Dayton facility. (photo contributed)

In 2012, the La-Z-Boy in Dayton manufacturing facility was named one of the 10 Best Plants in North America by IndustryWeek magazine. The IndustryWeek Best Plants Awards recognize outstanding manufacturing facilities on the leading edge of efforts to increase efficiencies, enhance customer satisfaction and create a stimulating and rewarding work environment.

McCawley says he is proud La-Z-Boy in Dayton has secured itself in the past and always into the future as the most successful facility in the division, but says he is most proud of the dedicated employees who make it happen everyday.

- Advertisement -


LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.